BLOCKHOUSE AT FORT HAYS

The blockhouse part of the Fort Hays State Historical Site in Hays, Kansas. The blockhouse was the defensive strong point for the fort that was built during the American Indian Wars when the quickly growing American nation collided with the traditions and attempts of the Plains Indians to survive. It was built to protect the railroad workers and provide supplies to other forts not served by the railroad. This project included the replacing of the lower courses of limestone on the outer wythe that had deteriorated beyond repair. The state had records that located the original quarry used during the construction of the fort and we were given permission to return to the site and extract the stone needed for the replacement work.

HISTORIC STRUCTURES

WORKS

Additional Images of this Project
ROCKHILL and ASSOCIATES, 1546 E350 RD, LECOMPTON. KS 66050, phone:785-393-0747, DAN@ROCKHILLANDASSOCIATES.COM