stone building overlooks the Kansas river. It became the birthplace
of the Democratic party in the Kansas Territory. Built in 1850
by an Italian stone mason it was eventually "squatted"
in 1853 a year before the territory opened for settlement. The
squatters made their living on the river fishing and running a
ferry made of hollowed out sycamore logs called the Fairy Queen.
With the eventual development of the railroad alongside the river
it was purchased by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad
and used as a pay station. Having fallen into a life threatening
state of disrepair it was purchased and cleaned up by a dedicated
force of Lecompton preservationists who asked our assistance in
rebuilding the stone and wood features.
Additional historic work in Lecompton includes the restoration
of the roof trusses at Lane University.