PONY EXPRESS STATION
The Hollenberg Pony Express
Station was constructed in 1861 and remains the only intact, unaltered
station that served the 2,000 mile route of the Pony Express.
It consists of six structures built over
time that were clustered together and then gathered with walnut
siding to create one building. We convinced the Kansas
State Historical Society that we could lift the building and slide
it to the side while constructing a suitable footing for the shallow
stone foundation that barely went below grade. We then slid it back in place, repaired the original walnut siding and replaced the
latter day cedar siding with new walnut. We also repaired the plank floors and the plaster and lath walls. The building receives
nearly 20,000 visitors a year.