PONY EXPRESS STATION
station was constructed in 1861 and remains the only intact, unaltered
station that served the 2,000 mile route of the Pony Express.
In actuality, the station consists of six buildings built over
time that were clustered together and then gathered with walnut
siding to create one building. Our proposal convinced the Kansas
State Historical Society that we could lift the building and slide
it to the side while constructing a suitable footing for the shallow
stone foundation. We then slid it back in place and replaced the
walnut siding with new walnut and prepared the building to receive
nearly 20,000 visitors a year.