PRIESTLY HOUSE and COTTAGES

This project involved the restoration of one of the oldest houses in Lawrence and the addition of two detached units, the cottages, on an open adjacent lot. We describe the new work as a wolf in sheep’s clothing. The new traditional brick buildings were inspired by the masonry buildings at nearby Fort Leavenworth. Ad hoc projections occurring through the brick skin are framed in wood. The “wolf” comes to life within, the plaster walls are in marked contrast to the furniture-like core, with its skin of yellow ash plywood that rises through the traditional form and defines all interior spaces.

Additional Images of this Project
ROCKHILL and ASSOCIATES, 1546 E350 RD, LECOMPTON. KS 66050, phone:785-393-0747, ROCKHILL@SUNFLOWER.COM