THE WINTER SCHOOL PRESERVATION
The Winter School No. 70 is an historic one-room schoolhouse near Lecompton in Douglas County, Kansas. It is an example of the typical rural school of its time. It was organized in 1869 and the first term was held in the summer 1871 with 27 students.The original school was the simple one room stone structure with limestone walls nearly two feet thick. In the early 20th century a wood framed anteroom was added to the front and the stone was covered with stucco. The school functioned for 75 years and served as a focal point for people of the area.
The Winter School No. 70 has reopened its doors to the community after 65 years. It is now a museum and cultural center. It will focus on the foundations of education with a variety of rotating exhibits that invite people to interact through tangible, collaborative and creative activities.
To support these events a “courtyard” of pervious pavers and a new structure housing modern restrooms and storage were added. The bell had been gone for as long as anyone could remember. A “new” bell was found that is of the same vintage and size. It now can be rung by a rope hanging in the schoolroom.
All of preservation work as well as the new interventions were executed in a manner consistent with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties.