This stone building overlooks the Kansas river. It became the birthplace of the Democratic party in the Kansas Territory. Built in 1850 by an Italian stone mason it was eventually “squatted” in 1853 a year before the territory opened for settlement. The squatters made their living on the river fishing and running a ferry made of hollowed out sycamore logs called the Fairy Queen. With the eventual development of the railroad alongside the river it was purchased by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad and used as a pay station. Having fallen into a life threatening state of disrepair it was purchased and cleaned up by a dedicated force of Lecompton preservationists who asked our assistance in rebuilding the stone and wood features.
MORE PHOTOS OF THIS PROJECT
BACK TO HISTORIC STRUCTURES