THE WINTER SCHOOL PRESERVATION
The Winter School No. 70 is an historic one-room schoolhouse near Lecompton in Douglas County, Kansas. It is an example of the typical rural school of its time. It was organized in 1869 and the first term was held in the summer 1871 with 27 students. The original school was the simple one room stone structure with limestone walls nearly two feet thick. In the early 20th century a wood framed anteroom was added to the front and the stone was covered with stucco. The school functioned for 75 years and served as a focal point for people of the area.
The Winter School No. 70 reopened its doors to the community after 65 years. It is now a museum and cultural center. It focuses on the foundations of education with a variety of rotating exhibits that invite people to interact through tangible, collaborative and creative activities.
All of preservation work as well as the new interventions was consistent with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties and the Winter School is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
MORE PHOTOS OF THIS PROJECT
BACK TO HISTORIC STRUCTURES